HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Why I Love Being a Hen
Is this henish or not?
Blogs
Where has all my energy gone?
The Attitude of Today's Older Woman
Hen Lit - Humor or Not?
Move Over Howard Stern, Hello Dorothy!
Dorothy Thompson to Appear on Cuzin Eddie Show Tom...
I've been tagged!
This is why I write

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hen Lit Writers

Where do I go now?
I have a problem. I finished my last ms. (not a henlit thing) and sent if off to my agent. She hasn't replied yet and it's been more than a month. However, I'm trying to stay cool about this. I'm not crazy enough to think she jumped on my ms. the minute it came to her door.

My problem now is that I started a Hen Lit comic novel a while back and, frankly, I'm not feeling very humourous right now. I've been trying to read funny books to get me back in the mood, but it's not happening. In fact, I have a great desire to write something extremely adventurous and literary that will require tons of research.

Now, I know that I could do the humorous novel quickly, because it's snappy and punchy and doesn't take the time a literary novel would take. And my journalistic background would help, because I'm used to punching things out quickly when need be.

But, but, the literary gods aren't letting me do that. I probably could wait a month and rediscover my sense of humor or I could force myself to get going and work on the Hen Lit book. Or...I could go off into research land and come out maybe six months later.

What's the advice out there? Can someone write humorous stuff and not be feeling very funny themselves? Maybe it's the Katrina fiasco. Maybe it's that my sister just put her dog down. Maybe it's the stupid editors from my last magazine assignment. Maybe it's my allergies. But I'm just in a funk.

Lynn

posted by Bastet @ Wednesday, September 21, 2005

3 Comments:

  1. At Thursday, September 22, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Oh God...you're going through what I'm going through right now and it isn't fun. When I first wrote my hen lit, the humor (which usually comes natural for me)was there. Months down the line, things happen, and the muse is either there or it isn't..in my case, it left the coop. Now I'm in revisions and I'm trying but I'm going through all sorts of little health thingees - nothing to worry about - and it's all I can do to keep myself focused. I only wish I had revised back then when the humor muse still had me in its grips. I used to be able to read a few humor columns on the net or jump into a humor book and the muse would return, not it's harder to see that happen. I don't know what's wrong either, Lynn. I wish someone knew that could help.

     

  2. At Thursday, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in the same funk - just kind of stuck and feeling like I'm not moving forward. Tempted to just go back to work and shuck it all. Or go out shopping all day - except that I need a job to do that. :)

     

  3. At Thursday, September 22, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Oh, no, not you too Kathy! Something's going wrong. We've got to fix it. Guys, we've got to stick together on this and encourage each other...we can't go down....we can do this...gotta figure out a plan. I'm just tired...gonna post in my blog soon about it and it takes all my strength just to answer email...stressed I guess...it's that freaking menopause thing.

     

  4. Post a Comment