HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Dorothy Thompson to Appear on Cuzin Eddie Show Tom...
I've been tagged!
This is why I write
Why we write
Mature and Settled?
Put Away Those Rockers, Granny, We’re Going Skydiv...
My Bad
This Ol' Hen Went Promoting!
A "Next" Step...
This Little Hen Went to the Boardwalk!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Move Over Howard Stern, Hello Dorothy!

Too bad my name isn't Dolly or that title up there would be kinda cute. Reminds me of Carol Channing...think that's who sang it...ANYWAY...

Well....today I am a radio star.

NOT.

I don't see how people can do that stuff every single day. Guess practice makes perfect, but as this was only my third radio interview and there was a lot of time in between gigs, I guess I'm not there yet, but you wanna know a secret?

It's cool as *#%@!

After a few trips to the bathroom *if you catch my drift*, I settled in my chair, waiting for them to call. And then...something ocurred to me. With all the goings on in my house, I decided very quickly that the bedroom would be the perfect place for my interview. It was where the air conditioner was and if I got a hot flash, I'd be better off in there than in the living room where not only is it warmer than the rest of the house but noisier, too.

I grabbed my book (just in case I forgot the name of it), my notes (just in case I forgot what I've been preaching for years about soul mates) and my pepsi. I laid out everything on the bed and waited. It approached 10:30 when they were supposed to call and nature decided to make her appearance again and I flew back in the bathroom. Why is it that I always get the shits when I have interviews? Oops, delete the bad word...sorry (I'll go back and do it later).

Anyway, I'm sitting there thinking and trying to hurry the process since the phone was in the other room and if it rang, I didn't want to be caught with my pants down (no pun intended).

I finished up as quick as possible and flew back in the bedroom. Ten minutes had passed and still no call and the first thing in my mind was that I had gotten the time all screwed up. Central time is different from eastern time, and maybe central time is two hours, not one hour, difference - you know how it is when you got the runs, you're old and you're about to make a fool of yourself in front of millions (well, a few anyway) of people.

Five minutes more went by and I decided to stretch out on the bed and rest. My heart was pounding through my body and I thought wouldn't it be cool to die and have everyone say Cuzin Eddie killed Dorothy? I'd really make headlines then.

Anyway, the phone rang. Well, that was enough to give you a coronary right there.

I jumped up, took a deep breath, and breathed a hello into the receiver, hoping it was Aunt Matilda down the road or a telemarketer or something. I have no problem hanging up on either.

"Hello, Dorothy?"

It was THEM.

But a funny thing happened once I heard the angelic voice of Penny Sansevieri, co-host of the Cuzin Eddie Show. I don't know what happened to me, but I became THE SOUL MATE EXPERT.

Hell, it was so much fun, I couldn't shut up. Twenty minutes flew by when Cuzin Eddie had to interrupt us to say we'd run out of time.

I went nooooo...but I have so much more to say, to preach, to enlighten the world with! I actually didn't say that, but I wanted to.

Cuzin Eddie was real cool. I wasn't sure how he was going to feel about the whole soul mate thing, but he winged it real well. Penny was excellent, need I say more. Both made me feel so comfortable. They asked me to come back and I said hell yeah. Well, it was more in the lines of "Thank you! I would love to!" (you can't look redneck over the air waves or no one will buy your book, that I have learned).

Afterwards, I felt elated. One more stepping stone towards overcoming stage fright and hopefully it will result in a sold book or two. I have another radio interview in August and this one everyone can hear on the web AND archived. Eek.

So, anyway, I did it and I feel great about myself and that's what it's all about. *grin*

posted by thewriterslife @ Tuesday, July 19, 2005

7 Comments:

  1. At Tuesday, July 19, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Thanks, Jenny! Why is it when anxiety attacks hit us, it goes straight to our stomachs? Well, there's one good thing that came out of it. Lost two pounds...waaaahhoooooo!

     

  2. At Tuesday, July 19, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats Dorothy. I've been reading about your appearances, but we're super busy now, so I haven't had time to comment. Sounds like a great time was had by all. May I suggest a portable phone? One with a really handy mute button. ;-)

     

  3. At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Thank you both Jody and Kathy!

    Jody, I did have a portable phone but left it in the bedroom because I find I can't concentrate on two things at one time...grin...

    Kathy, wow, you are going to work on your author's platform???!!!! Oh man, if you need help, let me know. I've got a humbdinger of an ad I made up to send to radio shows if you or anyone else in here wants to see it. I sent that one day to World Talk Radio and the next day, I got an interview request. I could show you how to write up an ad, too, if you like!

     

  4. At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Well I'm here for ya whenever you need me. It's not a requisite but a lot of people who go on radio are going on to sell something (even themselves) and they're usually knowledgable in a certain area (your author platform). I know one place you can go to when you get your hen lit written is World Talk Radio. That's where I heard Holly Chamberlain, who turned me onto chick lit. I think that's where I heard her talk...haven't been there for awhile to check. She didn't really have an author platform persay or at least I can't remember, but whatever she did, it made me check out her website which gave me the idea for "Over the Hill." You really ought to listen to the interviews over there...really neat and interesting!

     

  5. At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Okay, I think I had that wrong. Here's a link to go where she's on writtenvoices.com. Maybe that's where I heard it.

    Here's the link

     

  6. At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    BTW, has anyone tried Transita yet?

     

  7. At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    I meant submitted. I've never read anything by them. What made yours different from what they publish? Do they have any of their book's excerpts anywhere so that I could read bits of them?

     

  8. Post a Comment