HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

My Bad
This Ol' Hen Went Promoting!
A "Next" Step...
This Little Hen Went to the Boardwalk!
A new chick in the hen house...
Writing...
HenLit posting on my xanga blog
In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska
The Frozen Hen

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Put Away Those Rockers, Granny, We’re Going Skydiving!



There’s a discussion over at TWL Author Talks about hen lit.

One member asked just what it was and Kathy (of this group blog) and I are trying to explain it to her. It’s really simple, but I’d like to add a little bit of what I said so that if anyone happens upon this blog, they will know where we are coming from and, hopefully, it will help them to understand just what “hen lit” is all about.

So, what is hen lit...

I think that what we writers of this genre are trying to say is that as women of this particular age group, we should have come to a place in our life's journey where we have finally found ourselves (and if we haven't, we don't have much time left to do it, so you better get cracking!) so that is true life to us. If we rely on others to fulfill our needs and make us happy, we better backtrack and fix that. So if we want to portray the "real" life of someone in this age genre, let's stick with the facts.

By this time, we should be comfortable in who we are and are finally accomplishing some of those goals we have set out for us and if we haven't, we are working on it.

So what we are doing with our time, besides taking care of our family life, we are working, writing, whatever in order to accomplish those last few goals before time runs out.

Now I know that isn't going to happen in every hen lit story...some may be about finding love in their later years...but I think that what hen lit readers are going to want to read are ways to get through these last years without going totally bonkers.

I think they are going to want to read about women who are making strides in their personal lives and careers and reading how they are going about doing that so that it would encourage them to do the same.

Gone are the days when grannies are sitting on rockers on the front porch. They are out there taking skydiving lessons and exploring the continent.

That's the kind of story I'd want to read...to give me hope that once I reach the golden years, it's not going to be all about complaining over what ailments I have or wishing I were younger again. Make sense at all?

posted by thewriterslife @ Saturday, July 02, 2005

2 Comments:

  1. At Monday, July 04, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Actually, I don't want to be young again. When I look in the mirror I am a little shocked at the image I see, but inside I feel very young. In fact, the laugh lines (we won't call them wrinkles) amaze me.

    How can I be old enough to have laugh lines? But when I add up the years, I realize I am, and I'm very glad if I have those things they're laugh lines instead of lines of stress and worry. Not that I haven't had my fair share of stress and worry, but the laugh lines appear to overpower them.

    But inside, I still of myself as 18, maybe 20. Twenty-five at the most.

     

  2. At Monday, July 04, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    LOL, great comment, Jody! I don't want to be young again either...I'd just like to find a magic pill or something to stop the aging process. This is IT. This is where I want to be, except for the ocassional aches and pains, but basically I feel that I've peaked. Either it's all downhill after this or I must search for that fountain of youth pretty darn quick...lol.

     

  3. Post a Comment