HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska
The Frozen Hen
Why I am a Hen Lit Junkie - Dorothy Thompson
The Hen Lit Writers Blog Debut!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

HenLit posting on my xanga blog

Recently, I joined a mailing list called HenLit, which is a pretty clever name for literature that's post-chick lit. For those who haven't been paying attention, chick lit (or books for young women) has been the latest publishing bonanza. Well, the latest bonanza that doesn't have Dan Brown's name on the cover.

Ever since "Bridget Jones' Diary" (which I did not read), the publishing industry has gone wild turning out hot pink volumes by the truck-full. Most of them are pretty standard, however. They involve a young woman in New York who's trying to make it in the publishing/fashion/fashion-publishing industry while trying to find a really good guy.

Those of us who think there really ought to be something out there for women who've had, ahem, a bit of experience in life, Hen Lit was born. And there are some older-than-chick lit novels on the market that did quite well, including "The Revenge of the Middle-Age Woman," and "The Hot Flash Club." (I haven't read those, either.)

But I became interested in Hen Lit when in a chat with my agent, I learned that publishers are dying to reach the Boomer market, but haven't found the right books yet. Many are eager for heroines over the age of 40 or so. So, while I was awaiting critiques on my work-in-progress, I started a couple chapters of a really wacky comedy involving four women "of a certain age," who are going through such things as a surprise 40s pregnancy, husbands running off, learning how to date again, and facing an empty nest. I tried not to lean on the hot flash thing, which I don't really see as particularly humorous. Maybe I'm just weird.

Someday, when I'm done with my revision of Work In Progress, I'll return to the screwball comedy and truly give HenLit a try.

But anyway, the point of all this is that the Hen Lit group has a new group blog, of which I am a proud member. I still don't know how to put a list of recommended links on my xanga page, but here's the link for HenLit.

I hope some of you folks, especially those in the Zen of Middle Age and writers' blogrings enjoy it.

Lynn

posted by Bastet @ Tuesday, June 07, 2005

0 Comments:

    Post a Comment