HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

A new chick in the hen house...
Writing...
HenLit posting on my xanga blog
In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska
The Frozen Hen
Why I am a Hen Lit Junkie - Dorothy Thompson
The Hen Lit Writers Blog Debut!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

This Little Hen Went to the Boardwalk!

Every once in awhile, there comes a time in every writer's life where she totally loses it, such as I have in the past week. Deadlines, and all those other "work" things that leaves you totally bonkers. I knew if I kept going at this rate, this little hen's heart was going to go, so I decided to take a little trip to the boardwalk...



It was a mother/daughter bonding day and what a great excuse to turn off the computer and get some much needed R&R. However, I was not only doing this for my sanity...I was on a mission. *Play the Mission Impossible tune now*

I was going to buy a bathing suit.

Now in my younger years, buying a bathing suit was no problem. There were always racks and racks of cute little bikinis and I could have my pick and choose.

However, as I've "gracefully matured," I finally had to come to terms with the inevitable...

I've graduated to a one-piece.

Yeah, you know the ones that either fat people or old ladies wear. One piece.

I've fought it tooth and nail for years as I've watched my belly grow from a soft little pouch to a double wide and I knew this year, I was going to have to accept the fact that I'm...er...old and it was no way jose was I ever going to fit into a bikini anytime soon. If ever.

So, that was my mission today - as hard as it was for me to accept - I was going to buy my first one piece bathing suit.

My daughter - who could pass for a model in any fashion magazine - and I went to Sunsations in Ocean City, Maryland, to buy each of us a bathing suit. She had bought one there last year and she told me that they have a great selection and it would be no problem to find what I was looking for.

Well, I don't know what planet she was from, but that wasn't exactly what happened....

I chose two suits - one all black and another black with pink flowers.

The Foreign Lady (why do all the clerks at Ocean City come from foreign countries?) led me to the dressing room where I unclothed and prepared myself for the inevitable. I looked like a beached whale no matter what I put on.

Okay.

I walked out of the dressing room and Foreign Lady wanted to know which one I wanted.

"Too fat," I said and headed back to the bathing suit racks.

I came back with my third choice. It was slightly higher but I was desperate. I was not going to leave that store without a bathing suit.

Foreign Lady let me back in the dressing room where I unclothed again. I went to put the bathing suit on but it was kinda tricky. I finally managed to pull one part over my head and squeeze into it. Now not only did I look like a beached whale, I looked like a beached whale that had their innards sucked out by the seagulls. Yeah, my stomach was sucked in all right but I knew I couldn't hold my breath long enough for a day at the beach in that thing, so I gave it up.

I walked out of the dressing room and Foreign Lady only shook her head. I knew she didn't understand.

I gave it up and my daughter and I headed for the boardwalk. Maybe I'll find something there, I thought.

Now if anyone has ever been to the boardwalk at Ocean City, Maryland, you would know that this is not the place to buy a bathing suit for a beached whale...I mean, over the hill beach mamas.

This is the place the youngens go to buy their barely-there bikinis, which leaves people like me up the creek without a paddle.

But, I didn't mind. My daughter and I had a fabulous time, despite the fact that our mission was never accomplished.

However, another mission WAS accomplished. I was destressing by the minute.

We went inside one of the pizza places there and had a salad and shared a medium pizza. If I was going to be deprived of a bathing suit, I might as well not worry about what I ate at that point.

We hung out. And laughed. And remembered the old times when we'd think nothing of jumping on one of the amusement park rides and not throwing our dinner up. We watched little kids on the merry-go-round and remembered the times when I used to watch my kids do the very same thing.



We walked and talked and remininced.

It was time to go and we stopped at Dolly's for a tub of their famous caramel popcorn. We sat on the bench and ate it while we watched the crowd pass by.

And then it was time to head to the car when Melissa said, "I don't want to go home."

I turned to her and said, "I don't either."

She smiled. I looked at the crowd one more time, gathered my keys, and we headed back home.

If you'd like to see a live cam view of Ocean City, click here.

posted by thewriterslife @ Tuesday, June 14, 2005

4 Comments:

  1. At Thursday, June 16, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    I clicked on the picture and the weirdest thing happened. It was dark and not a soul was hanging around. Do you think it has anything to do with it being almost 4 a.m. there? :-) Glad you had a great time, even if you didn't get the coveted item. I think in the end, you got something much better...wonderful memories.

     

  2. At Thursday, June 16, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    LOL, velllllly possible. Try it again in the daytime...it's really cool!

     

  3. At Thursday, June 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ocean City is its own little world...absolutely!

     

  4. At Thursday, June 16, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Marley, have you ever been? It's only about 45 minutes from my house!

     

  5. Post a Comment