HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Writing...
HenLit posting on my xanga blog
In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska
The Frozen Hen
Why I am a Hen Lit Junkie - Dorothy Thompson
The Hen Lit Writers Blog Debut!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A new chick in the hen house...

Many thanks to Kathy and Dorothy for inviting me into the flock! Don't you just love all of the chicken puns? Ahhh...the pun, the lowest form of humor. Loves it!

But seriously, thanks so much for the invite and I'm happy to toss my voice into your lovely group. I just finished my first lady/hen lit book. Although, I'd say it's more lady than hen as my heroine is 38 years old and at a major crossroad in her life. It's the life experience, I think, of these older, wiser, more mature heroines that makes the genre so appealing to me, personally. Don't get me wrong...I love chick lit and love reading it, but I think as our society ages -- and let's face it, the baby boomers are getting into their late 40's and early 50's -- there need to be more stories addressing women at all stages in their lives. I mean, I have such obscure references in my book that I'm pretty sure the younger set won't likely get. Things like Rosie Greer and his needlepoint hobby...watching Carnac on The Tonight Show and The NBC Nightly News with John Chancellor and David Brinkley...hell, the Huntley-Brinkley Report!

I'm greatly looking forward to the new NEXT line by Harlequin that debuts next month. Already, a couple of titles have grabbed my attention and I'll be sure to pick them up. I like how they have a chick lit cover feel to them and I believe they're coming out in trade size with a mass market price. It will be interesting to see how this works and if these books resonate with people.

I have the great fortune of getting to pitch my lady/hen lit book to Jennifer Green of NEXT on Thursday in a special eHarlequin pitch. My book is titled FOUR WINES AND A FUNERAL and the high concept is "Sideways" meets "Garden State" meets "Sweet Home Alabama." Would be great if NEXT is interested in it.

Well, I've blathered enough for starters. Thanks again for inviting me along for the ride!

Marley = )

posted by Marley Gibson @ Tuesday, June 14, 2005

4 Comments:

  1. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Hi Marley! Welcome to the flock! I just love your blog, The Adventures of Vanessa Virtue! Read it all the time. And good luck with your book pitching...you lucky thing!!!

     

  2. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I've personally seen EVERY Cary Grant movie there is. He's not an old reference...but he's certain got that iconic status that should translate to any generation.

    Dorothy...thanks for reading my little Vanessa! :)

    Thanks for the welcome!

     

  3. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Judy, Judy, Judy...man, he was something, wasn't he? I think I remember him in a Doris Day movie, right?

     

  4. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    I'm not quite understanding you, ydurp. Did I sent you an invitation?

     

  5. Post a Comment