HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Put Away Those Rockers, Granny, We’re Going Skydiv...
My Bad
This Ol' Hen Went Promoting!
A "Next" Step...
This Little Hen Went to the Boardwalk!
A new chick in the hen house...
Writing...
HenLit posting on my xanga blog
In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Mature and Settled?

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the long absence. First, I was on vaca at my parents' house, enjoying being babied, spoiled and fed three times a day at all-u-can eat buffets! What is it with 70 year olds feeling the need to stuff themselves until they fall over asleep? :)

Also, I've been in a flurried frenzy of job interviews and I'm happy to report that after six months of unemployment, I am newly employed! I'll be starting at a great, successful asset management company in downtown Boston on August 3rd and couldn't be happier.

I thought I'd share something "hen lit" related and age related that might be of interest.

During the interviewing process these past few months, I've found that I've been the "top candidate" at most places I've gone to. Why? Because I've been competing with twenty year olds and college graduates for the positions I've been applying for. See, I've been a Marketing and Events Director/Manager for the last 16 years and when I lost my job in February, I decided to downsize my life a bit and go for Executive Assistant roles. I'm tired of the travel, the stress, the deadlines and the frenetic pace that marketing has played in my life. But in doing so, I've had to convince headhunters and recruiters that yes...at nearly 39, I do want to do this type of work.

And in doing so, I've been up against the twenty year olds. Yeah, I've seen them sitting there with their little pony tails and perfect blue suits and their folder full of samples from whatever college internships they've had. I know, because I was one of those people 16 years ago. Hell, I was more grown up and mature at 23 than I am now at 38 1/2! But, it's very interesting because I can see those people getting asked the "where do you want to be in five years" question and the "how would your best friend describe you" inquiries. With me, I don't play the bull$hit question and answer game. I'm too old for that crap! *EG* I talk straight forward, I let my experience and computer skills speak for themselves. I laugh. I joke. I'm me. I don't play games. I poo-poo them when they ask text-book standard interview questions. And I get asked back for second interviews.

Please don't interpret this as cocky...I'm anything but that! I'm the world's most insecure person when it comes to certain things...but not job interviewing. I know that if I can get my foot in the door, I can win them over. And I did. But I had no idea I'd be competing with people 16+ years younger than me.

Then, I was told by the company that hired me that I was "mature and settled" and that's what made them like me so much. Me? Mature? Settled? Damn...I sure fooled them, eh? *EG* But seriously...it was a turn around for me...expecting to lose out jobs to someone younger, thinner and blonder, but for once, my age, experience and life knowledge played in my favor.

So, I think it's cool to be mature and settled. After all, I have a husband of nearly 16 years, enough credit card debt to make a college graduate weep and a mortgage that gets paid on time every month. Suppose you have to be mature and settled to do all of those things...right?

Good thing they figured all of that out without me having to demonstrate a hot flash for them. *giggle*

Now, it's off to finish the lady lit and get it out to NEXT before I start the new job!

Hugs,
Marley = )

posted by Marley Gibson @ Tuesday, July 05, 2005

1 Comments:

  1. At Wednesday, July 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks, Kathy!

     

  2. Post a Comment