HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Blogs
Where has all my energy gone?
The Attitude of Today's Older Woman
Hen Lit - Humor or Not?
Move Over Howard Stern, Hello Dorothy!
Dorothy Thompson to Appear on Cuzin Eddie Show Tom...
I've been tagged!
This is why I write
Why we write
Mature and Settled?

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Is this henish or not?

I wasn't going to write about this. It's personal and this blog is about hen lit. Then I realized, what I have to say fits the whole concept of hen lit and its audience.

H/S have created the Next line, for women at the next stage of their life.

Well, I'm entering a new phase of my life. My kids are grown. I have the required grandkids. What else is out there? I've been asking myself that question for a few months now. About six weeks ago, I searched the internet for local jobs. I didn't find anything that was worth the gas money into town.

I widened my search area. After all this is Alaska. My goal was to find a job on the slope. Work two weeks, fly home for two weeks. But all of a sudden I was looking at jobs in my old field. My college degree and earlier profession was in the medical field. Why not? Maybe I hadn't been out too long.

So, I downloaded applications and faxed them to a couple hospitals. That was the middle of July. I talked to my last place of employment. Not about coming back, but because some of my former co-workers had inside information on the hospitals I was interested in. Plus I was encouraged to fill out an application for there. I did. Though moving back to Anchorage was not high on my list.

Then on August 5th, I found another hospital in the state needing my skills. I downloaded the application, then called human resources. I wanted to know what the housing situation was like there. It doesn't matter how great a job is, if there isn't housing, it's meaningless.

I faxed the application back to them late that afternoon. They called me on the following Wednesday. Would I be interested in them flying me over and trying it out for a mont to six weeks? Uh, yes. Very interested. I could see the upside to that. I'd be able to get my medical legs under me again while checking out the area. At the end of the time frame, I'd know if I still had it, if I liked the area, and they'd know if they liked me. A total win/win situation.

Well, it didn't exactly turn out like that. They're flying me over for three months. They provide my housing while there. At the end of three months, they fly me back home. If I like them, and if they like me, they'll make me a permanent offer. If I'm unsure, I might be able to talk them into another three month temp position. I really don't know. All I know is that I'm going for three months.

I want to love the area. I want to fall right back into the work. I want to feel confident about my work again. I want to know when I make a judgment call it was the right call.

I'm scared because of the years in between the last time I slipped on a pair of scrubs and the next time I'll put them on.

Mostly I'm excited. I get to go to a remote town. I'm going to the Alaskan Bush. I'm going to see a part of Alaska that most Alaskans never get to see. I'm going to get to spend three months in a brand new area, learning a brand new culture or in this case, cultures. I get to learn the history of the area. I'll get to see the first snow of the year there.

For the last eight years I've been tied to a shop and/or computer. I haven't had time to really live. Now I get to live and experience new things.

In the end, that's what hen lit is all about. We've made the best home we could. We raised and supported our children. We supported our mates. Or divorced them. Or remarried. I've done all those things.

Now, it's my turn. Because of a choice I made years ago, I have a career that will allow me to see as much of Alaska as I want to see. I can spend three months at that hospital, or make it long term. But as long as I am able to work, I just realized, I have options. I can get a permanent job wherever I want to live in this state, or I can do short temporary assignments all over the state.

So, for the next three months, I'll be living the life of a hen. I've entered the "next" stage. It's exciting. It's thrilling. And yes, it's scary. But I'll keep writing about it and I'm sure some nugget of truth I learn along the way will make it into a story.

Happy hen lit reading and living.

posted by Unknown @ Wednesday, August 24, 2005

1 Comments:

  1. At Thursday, August 25, 2005, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    That's it, Jody!!!! That's what it's all about!!! I wait tables at night to keep that wonderful roof over my head, not too mention the food my body tells me I need to eat and while it does pay the bills, it's not what I'd call fulfilling my dream. That's what I do on the computer. You will be be fulfilling a dream to explore new land, meet new people, be productive at something you're interested in! I say go for it and write all about it. Heck, it could give you fodder for a new book in the future. Yes! Good luck with this and please keep us informed!

     

  2. Post a Comment