HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Chick Lit Out, Matron Lit In
Dorothy Thompson to Appear on Single Talk Radio Sh...
Hen Lit Writers
Why I Love Being a Hen
Is this henish or not?
Blogs
Where has all my energy gone?
The Attitude of Today's Older Woman
Hen Lit - Humor or Not?
Move Over Howard Stern, Hello Dorothy!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Monday, November 21, 2005

"Hens"/"Ladies" and our reading habits

I like the term LadyLit - even though it does conjure up the picture of a tipsy English dowager. But I digress .. . .and I haven't even started on the topic.

As a Hen/Lady/Crone/Goddess of a Certain Age, I read books written about protagonists of all age groups (and all ethnic, religions and sex groups, too).

I think we (the above category of reader although speaking mainly of my own fine-self) are more diverse in our thinking - women in our age group see the world as a whole and not as compartments. "Well, now, let's see, Martha, I can't read THAT book because it's about a female transvestite who is a fallen Catholic practicing Witchcraft as a Wizard. I could just never relate." I know that's a bit far-fetched. But as someone who reads diverse genres and (GASP!) literary fiction, I am not really opposed to reading about the aforementioned female transvestite - as long as it's an interesting story - one that will hold my interest.

I've met a lot of people over fifty who've read (and reread) every Harry Potter book - good stories.

On the other hand, I would like to see stories about women like me - fiftish, a tad overweight but still sexy, bright and charming, intelligent and empowered. We are out there - and I, for one, am working on a couple of entries into that category.

So, ladies, keep up the good work. Write those entertaining stories.
We are a force. A beautiful, rounded, soft, loving, intelligent force.

Mitzi
www.mitzimusings.blogspot.com

PS - Thanks to those of you who comment on my meanderings on my blog. Nice to know my words are not lost in cyberspace.

posted by Mitzi @ Monday, November 21, 2005

3 Comments:

  1. At Tuesday, November 29, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    I just read a "lady lit" by DiAnn Hunt...Hot Flashes and Cold Cream....cracked me up! And while I'm not in that particular age group, I agree, I like reading about all ages, sexes, etc...as long as the story's good, I don't much care!

     

  2. At Tuesday, November 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post! I also read every age group. And Mitzi, I love reading your blog even though I don't always comment.

     

  3. At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Blogger Bernita said…

    Have been working on it.
    Her name is Damie Tempest.
    However she is 45.

     

  4. Post a Comment