HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

"Menopause the Musical"
Why I Love Being a Hen
Is this henish or not?
Blogs
Where has all my energy gone?
The Attitude of Today's Older Woman
Hen Lit - Humor or Not?
Bits and Pieces from Reno
What's A Woman To Do?
Hen Lit - RDI or NEXT?

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Monday, September 05, 2005

I've surfaced

Geeze, I've had a time getting back here. Of course it had nothing to do with the fact I forgot my user name and password. Anyway....here I am.
Have a question for you guys.....what's your definition of the genre of "romance" vs "women's fiction."
The reason I ask is because I just finished my first Debbie Macomber book....The Shop on Blossom Street. I'd heard she switched from romance to women's fiction with Thursdays at Eight (which I haven't read)
While I enjoyed Blossom Street, I really wouldn't categorize it as "women's fiction." It smacked more of the romance genre to me. I consider authors like Anita Shreve, Sue Miller, Elizabeth Berg and Luanne Rice "women's fiction." Yes....there's a "love story" but somehow the plot seems to have more depth and substance. Just my opinion.........and I'm wondering what yours is.

posted by Terri @ Monday, September 05, 2005

3 Comments:

  1. At Monday, September 05, 2005, Blogger Dorothy said…

    LOL, you made it!!! So good to see you, Terri! There is so much confusion on what is women's fiction and what is romance as well as what is hen lit and what is women's fiction. I'm figuring the editors will place them in whatever they think it might fit, whether it makes any sense to us at all. At least, that's what I heard. I haven't read "Blossom Street" but now that you have raised this question, I'm going to put it on my Amazon list to buy next week.

     

  2. At Wednesday, September 07, 2005, Blogger Bernita said…

    That's a question I would really like answered.

     

  3. At Monday, September 12, 2005, Blogger alwaysawriter said…

    I always thought women's fiction was more grounded in reality whereas a purely "romance" book is stuff dreams and fantasies are made of. Romance heroines are often young, raven-haired ravishing creatures with perfect bodies -- PLEEAASE! Women's fiction protagonists, on the other hand, are "every day" women like you and me, who face and come to terms with the same inner struggles and frustrations as the rest of us.
    My own new novel, "Teeth in a Pickle Jar" falls into the "woman's fiction" category. My heroine, Megan, is 44, a divorced single mother living on a limited income. She wants to break out of the confines of her humdrum life, to step out of the box, to find the love that eluded her in her youth. I won't tell you whether she does or not so as not to spoil the surprise :), but many women who read the novel tell me they can relate to a lot of what Megan goes through. And that, in this writer's humble opinion, is the difference between women's fiction and a purely romance novel.

     

  4. Post a Comment