HEN LIT WRITERS

 

Stuff about you.

 

Links
Links

 

Writing...
HenLit posting on my xanga blog
Fiction for Women 45+ Must Be Hot
In the Hen Lit Generation, but writing fantasy
On the way to Alaska
Native Californian Living in Florida
The Frozen Hen
Why I am a Hen Lit Junkie - Dorothy Thompson
The Hen Lit Writers Blog Debut!

 

June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
February 2006
April 2006
June 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007

 

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

 

Design by CARU

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Will the Real Hen Lit Age Please Stand Up

It's been awfully quiet around here so I thought I should post something. So why not talk about age? How old is too old? How old is old enough? These seem to be the questions surrounding "hen lit." But age, of course, is all so subjective.

I've been concerned that hen lit would only be focused on characters that were in their 50s and up. Concerned because chick lit seems to leave off around 38. So what about those women just turning 40 and the lives they reinvent for themselves all throughout their 40s? Well, I needn't have feared. As you can see from her comment on my Real Women blog, Marley mentioned that her winning manuscript for the NEXT editor pitch has a protag in her late 30s. That is interesting, especially since NEXT mentions a sample story might be about a woman having her first baby at 45. I read that to mean that the protag had to be at least 45. Doesn't look so. That's great news to me.

So now the question on the hen lit board is "how old is too old?" Is 57 too old? What about about 60-something - the age of one of the 3 women in my manuscript, Real Women Wear Red?

Well, here's hoping that the age range is much more flexible than we might imagine. But, then, again, it probably depends on the age of who is being asked. 50 might sound ancient to somebody in their twenties but 60 might seem rather young to somebody in their fifties. Believe me, the older I get the younger these ages seem. So, how old is too old? I've always been fascinated by stories of people reuniting with their high school sweetheart when they're in their seventies and eighties. But maybe that's what the new EPIC Romance line is for. Because you're never too old for love.

- Kathy

posted by Kathy Holmes @ Tuesday, June 14, 2005

4 Comments:

  1. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger sitting Tao said…

    "You're never too old for love"

    My 80-year-old mother fell out of her new boyfriend's hot tub (he's 74) and I would bet money she wasn't wearing a swimsuit.

     

  2. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger Dorothy said…

    LOL, who is ydurp? I love feisty grandmas.

     

  3. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger Dorothy said…

    Oops, make that mamas. That'll teach me to slow down. *grin*

     

  4. At Tuesday, June 14, 2005, Blogger Dorothy said…

    Oh man, I have a book for you. These two old people, a man and a woman, escape from a nursing home. It is hilarious. The author's name is Carole Bellacera and the book is called "Chocolate on a Stick." Go to her website at http://www.carolebellacera.com and read that first chapter. If that isn't hen lit, I don't know what else is! Or geriatric lit? LOL

     

  5. Post a Comment